Thursday 20 June 2013

Liberty Banana Muffins!

Why Liberty Muffins you make ask? 

How astute!
Because they are Gluten-free, Lactose-free (I'm lactose intolerant by the way), and refined sugar-free.

hallelujah.


Early this week, while perusing Pinterest I found a recipe for Paleo-Banana Bread. Aha! I said to myself, a baking shenanigan was long overdue. In consequence of my father new diet, I had to find something without flour, without refined sugar (white or brown), no oatmeal etc... and believe you me, baking under those kinds of restrictions can get a teensy-bit tricksy. However, I did find this one and with a few alterations, created my very own Liberty Muffins (however- while bananas are naturally chalked full of carbohydrates and have a high glycemic load (when considering fruit) these seemed like the best bet for a health-ier treat). He loved them!

So here is the recipe! (Also, the batter is delicious but be careful because it has eggs in it!)


Liberty Muffins 


Ingredients:
4             Brown bananas
1/2 cup   Almond flour (Coconut Flour Subs.)
1/2 cup   Natural nut-butter of choice
               (I used almond this time around because I had it, but I have a slightly questionable life long                                       love-affair with peanut butter, and will probably try it with that next time)
2             Eggs
1/3 cup   Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
1/4 cup   Cinnamon
1 tbsp.    Cocoa powder
1 tsp      Vanilla extract (be generous)
1 tsp.      Baking Powder
1 tsp.      Baking soda
1            SMILE!

Extras: 
Now if you have an abominable sweet-tooth there are a few things that you can do to make the finished product sweeter because some of the sweetness burns off while the muffins bake.
1/3 cup  Honey
(I despise honey, it is actually so gross, but if you like it, your muffins will be sweeter)
1/2 cup  Semi-sweet chocolate chips (Love to, but can't)
1/2 cup  Crushed walnuts or Pecans (This will add to the total calories but your muffins will be crunchy)

Directions:
Heat oven to 375C
Add the ingredients to a large bowl in this order:
1. Bananas
2. Almond Flour
3. Nut Butter
Stir!
4. Eggs
5. Cinnamon
6. Cocoa powder
Stir Again!
7. Coconut Oil
8. Vanilla Extract
9. Baking Powder, and Baking Soda
10. Extra (If you did)
Stir For the Last Time!
Fill muffin tins using discretion (approx. 3/4 full)
Insert Muffins into Oven
Bake for around 15 minutes, and sprinkle cinnamon on the tops when they come out!
Should make 12-14 Muffins depending on how generous you are with the filling the pan!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment